Poached Eggs Over Sautéed GreensEnjoy vegetables for breakfast! In many parts of the world vegetables are a regular part of a healthy breakfast. This Healthiest Way of Eating dish not only tastes great it contains only 130 calories, and provides a wealth of health-promoting nutrients.
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 4 eggs, preferably organic
- 1 tsp light vinegar (rice, apple cider, or white wine)
- about 4 cups water
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, about 1 large leek, white part only
- 6 medium cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 3 + 5 TBS chicken broth
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice leeks and garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
- Bring water and vinegar to a fast simmer in a skillet large enough to fit eggs. Make sure there is enough water to cover eggs.
- While water is coming to a simmer, heat 3 TBS broth in a separate stainless steel 10-12 inch skillet. Healthy Sauté sliced leeks in broth over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add garlic slices and continue to saute, stirring constantly for another minute.
- Add kale, broth, and lemon juice, and simmer covered on medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When done season with salt and pepper.
- Poach eggs until desired doneness. This will take about 5 minutes, or just until the white is set and the yolk has filmed over. Remove from vinegar water with a slotted spoon and place on top of greens.